The Texas Legislature started its session on January 8th. Texas PTA has a list of priorities, and one of them is to increase funding for all Texas schools. There is another group JustFundItTexas.com that is working to share the message statewide.
Public School Funding System Reform
Pursue an adequate and equitable solution for school funding that maintains accountability and responsibility for educating the whole child and includes funding for enrollment growth.
Download information on Public School Funding System Reform here.
- The current funding system is a result of a series of short-term, “band-aid” solutions that have produced outdated, inequitable, and insufficient solutions for the needs of our diverse student population.
- Over the past decade, the state has continually decreased its share of public education funding to less than 40%, allowing rising local property taxes to fill the gap.
- The Texas Education Agency (TEA) projects an additional reduction in the state’s funding for public education by more than $3.5 billion over the next two years.
- The economic situation in Texas looks more positive than it has in recent years.
- According to Comptroller Glenn Hegar earlier this year: 1) The state will have $110.17 billion for general purpose spending for the 2018-19 biennium. 2) The Economic Stabilization Fund, also called the Rainy Day Fund, will have a balance of $11.9B at the end of fiscal year 2019. 3) Sales tax revenue, the largest source of state funding for the state budget, accounting for 57% of all tax collections, is up by 10.5% for 2018 over 2017.
- Texas PTA believes the legislature must dedicate new, increased revenue to replace the funds lost to years of budget cuts and to support a growing student population with a wide range of learning needs.
- It’s time to create a funding system that equitably supports all students and relies on statewide funding sources rather than local property taxes.
What can you do???
Let’s help Texas PTA help our kiddos. We need 42 memberships or 21 family memberships to go to hit our goal of 775 PTA Memberships We are getting closer to our goal, but we need a little bit more help. Thank you for your commitment to be the strongest possible voice for all students.
Join 2,000 PTA members from across the state to tell our legislators that we want equitable and adequate school funding NOW, among other things. Rally DAY will be held on February 25 8am, at the Capitol
Why participate in Texas PTA Rally Day?
· Meet with legislators to share Texas PTAs Legislative Agenda
· Raise awareness on needs of public schools / children
· Hear from political leaders and bill sponsors
· Join others to advocate on behalf of Texas children/youth
· Learn more about issues affecting Texas children