Math Pentathlon Club is at capacity for the number of coaches who have volunteered.
If you are interested in coaching, please contact email@example.com
Math Pentathlon is an after-school math games club for learning and playing strategy games that exercise different math skills. Kids gain confidence with math concepts in a friendly, social atmosphere and have the opportunity to compete against students from other schools in a tournament this Spring.
Based on a curriculum from the Math Pentathlon Institute, the program consists of interactive problem-solving games that strengthen basic math concepts, develop problem-solving skills, and encourage good sportsmanship. The games are more like checkers and dominoes than math fact drills. Regular Season club meetings (Oct – Jan) focus on teaching the games. From Feb – April, those registering for the city-wide tournament will continue weekly practice to focus on developing strategy. See http://www.mathpentath.org for more information.
The games and learning activities are designed for kids of all math abilities and all grade levels. Students are divided into three divisions: K-1 (Division 1), grades 2-3 (Division 2), and grades 4-5 (Division 3). There is a set of five, age appropriate strategy games for each division. Under the supervision of adult volunteers, groups of 2-4 students learn each game in a cooperative manner through a progression of simplified rules and activities. Math Pentathlon games promote creative thinking and instill a positive attitude towards math, and the group learning environment encourages sportsmanship and communication skills.
Condensed rules sheets for each game are linked below:
- Wednesdays 3:00 pm – 3:45 pm.
- Semesters: Regular Session (all enrollees): October 9 – January 29
- Specific Dates: October 9, 16, 23, 30; Nov 6, 13, 20; Dec 4, 11, 18; Jan 15, 22, 29
- Tournament Preparation (for those attending): Begins the first Wed in February and runs through the tournament date:
- 2020 Tournaments Dates: TBD
Nuts and Bolts:
- Coaches will help Kindergarten students get from their normal classroom to the club meeting room.
- Parent coach(es) lead the meetings and teach the games. Parent occasional-volunteers assist with game setup, game play for odd-student-out, and classroom management
- Parents must arrange for pickup promptly at 3:45 from the club classroom
- At 10 minutes past pickup time, students will be taken to the office to call you or your emergency contact.
- Hill Agreements are expected to be followed during club sessions.
- Membership may be revoked for repeated misbehavior or late pickups
Cost: $29.99 per family for any number of family members. Scholarships are available
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a club completely run by volunteer parents at Hill. The number of student participants is limited to the number of coaches we have in a given year. Volunteer commitment is required at least one time per semester (Fall/Spring). Training and recommended lesson plans are provided to coaches and volunteers