2021-2022 club sessions tentative start date Wednesday Nov 3rd, contingent on Austin/Travis County entering and remaining under Stage 3 of Covid risk-based guidelines. Hill’s Math Pentathlon Club will adhere to all covid protocols in place at Hill Elementary.
To Register, click here https://forms.gle/nUpTAkVxwMF3n1Uk9
Math Pentathlon is an after-school math games club for learning and playing strategy games that exercise different math skills. Kids gain confidence with math concepts in a friendly, social atmosphere and have the opportunity to compete against students from other schools in a tournament this Spring (TBD 2022).
Based on a curriculum from the Math Pentathlon Institute, the program consists of interactive problem-solving games that strengthen basic math concepts, develop problem-solving skills, and encourage good sportsmanship. The games are more like checkers and dominoes than math fact drills. See http://www.mathpentath.org for more information.
The games and learning activities are designed for kids of all math abilities and all grade levels. Students are divided into three divisions: K-1 (Division 1), grades 2-3 (Division 2), and grades 4-5 (Division 3). There is a set of five, age appropriate strategy games for each division. Under the supervision of adult volunteers, groups of 2-4 students learn each game in a cooperative manner through a progression of simplified rules and activities. Math Pentathlon games promote creative thinking and instill a positive attitude towards math, and the group learning environment encourages sportsmanship and communication skills.
*2021-2022 club enrollment will be limited to Grades 2-5
Condensed rules sheets for each game are linked below:
- Wednesdays 3:10 pm – 4:00 pm.
- Semesters: Regular Session (all enrollees): October 9 – January 29
- Specific Dates: Nov 3, 10, 17; Dec 1, 8, 15; Jan 12, 19, 26; February 2, 9, 16, 23; March 2, 9, 23, 30;
- 2022 Tournaments Dates: TBD
Nuts and Bolts:
- Parent coach(es) lead the meetings and teach the games, assist with game setup, game play for odd-student-out, and classroom management
- Parents must arrange for pickup promptly at 4pm from the club classroom (*2021-2022 – TBD outdoor location)
- At 10 minutes past pickup time, students will be taken to the office to call you or your emergency contact.
- Hill Agreements are expected to be followed during club sessions.
- Membership may be revoked for repeated misbehavior or late pickups
Cost: $29.99 per student. Scholarships are available
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a club run by volunteer parents at Hill. Training and recommended lesson plans are provided to coaches and volunteers