The Hill community is committed to providing our students with the academic support they need to do their Dillo Best. To supplement the hard work of our school’s faculty, the Math Buddies program pairs volunteers with K-5th grade students identified by teachers who may benefit from weekly one-on-one math tutoring sessions. Teachers get a helping hand with their math instruction, and students gain critical skills and confidence. No advanced math knowledge is required for volunteers but great enthusiasm for helping our Dillos is a must. Volunteer sign ups open in mid-September and the program runs from October through April. Teachers can recommend students on a rolling basis.
Checklist to participate:
- Click here to complete sign-up form
- Attend Hill Volunteer training (you will be notified of the training schedule via email)
- Register with APIE (select Hill Elementary under “school based volunteers” and specify Math Buddies under opportunity)
- 30 minute tutoring session with assigned student at least 1x/week
- Feedback survey at the end of each 9 week session
- Ongoing and open communication with assigned student’s teacher
- Volunteers will receive basic tutoring supplies and access to a resource library (at Hill and online).
- Once matched and trained, volunteers will communicate directly with teachers to receive their tutoring focus and specific activities (e.g. classwork needing more time to complete), share student progress, and gather additional tips and resources.
- Volunteers may supplement teacher-directed activities with games and activities they bring in. Volunteers are encouraged to adapt their approach to best suit student needs and make the experience fun and rewarding for all!