Dear Hill Community,
We are missing our Dillos on campus but hope everyone is having a summer of fun! The Drummond family went to South Padre for a rain-soaked few days with the little one last week. We have plenty to share about what is going on around Hill School.
We wanted to ensure we updated our community on staffing that continues over the summer:
- Laura Jones will be transitioning from her position as a SCORES teacher to be an Art teacher at Hill!
- We want to welcome Tyler Shaw as our new Physical Education teacher! Tyler is coming to us from Clayton Elementary and has coached for 8 years in AISD.
- In our front office, we want to welcome Hanna Curran as our new clerk! Hanna is a Hill parent, past PTA president, and former teacher.
- In Kindergarten, Stacy Maine has accepted a teaching position in Leander ISD to be closer to home. We thank her for her years of service to the Hill Community. We want to welcome Ellie Duda to our Kindergarten team! Ellie is coming to us from Cypress-Fairbanks ISD where she taught first grade last year.
- In 4th grade, Beth Warning has accepted a teaching position in Leander ISD to be closer to home. We thank her for her years of service to the Hill Community. We want to welcome Kennedy Cunningham to our 4th grade team! Kennedy is coming to us from Doss Elementary where she student-taught in 3rd grade last year.
- In 5th grade, we want to welcome Brittany Bayer to Hill School! Brittany served as a long-term substitute in 5th grade at Hill this past spring after student teaching in Ms. Sanchez’s classroom.
- In our Special Education department, we want to welcome Christal Fox back to Hill Elementary as our new Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) teacher. Christal has served in this position for the last two years in AISD after being a teacher assistant at Hill prior. Also, we are welcoming Ron Beck to Hill as our new SCORES teacher. Ron is coming to Hill from Portland, OR and has been a SpEd teacher for 8 years.
- In Pre-K, we have hired 3 new teacher assistants to support those classrooms. We want to welcome Vanessa Huff, Gema Lopez Rodriguez, and Crystal Farrell to Hill!
Be sure to pre-order your Hill shirts, hats, and other merchandise for the upcoming school year by clicking here if you have not done so already! The new logos look amazing. We want to give a big Dillo Cheer to our team of volunteers who worked to make these possible. The pre-orders will run through July 25th.
We also want to ensure you have an idea of what the days leading up to the first day of school will look like. Below is a tentative calendar. There will obviously be more to come as we meet with our school leadership team. Some of this could be subject to change based on campus need.
- Thursday, August 12th: Staff returns for Professional Learning (all day)
- Friday, August 13th: Staff Professional Learning (all day); Class Lists Posted (Time TBD)
- Monday, August 16th: Meet the Teacher (Time TBD); Staff Preparation Day
- Tuesday, August 17th: First Day of School! (7:40 am-3:10 pm; our new bell schedule)
From the AISD Newsletter: Austin ISD will commemorate the original L.C. Anderson High School with a historical marker dedication 10-11 a.m. Saturday, July 17. The theme is L.C. Anderson “Yellow Jacket” Heritage…Always Remembered, Always Treasured. The historical marker will commemorate the last location of Austin’s only Black Public High School. In addition, this year commemorates 50 years since the Original L.C. Anderson Building was closed as a high school. We encourage the community to tune into the event virtually. Live streaming will be provided on AISD.TV and Facebook Live.
And as our modernization construction moves into its final phases, you can click here to check out some of the most recent pictures of our new spaces and landscape. We look forward to adding our new furniture soon as we prepare for students to return. Keep enjoying this great weather. We will update everyone again soon as August approaches.